Diff ratios/engine compression/tyre size

Submitted: Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 17:41
ThreadID: 28485 Views:7383 Replies:20 FollowUps:36
This Thread has been Archived
I had an interesting situation on the weekend which has had me thinking long and hard about what I might do to the Patrol next.

I took the clan up to Spear Creek for the weekend to join in with another club (Southern Flinders 4WD Club) to do a bit of Driver Training assessment. One of the things I had to do was the good ol' reverse stall recovery on a steep incline. At one point in the proceedure, you are required to have the vehicle in low-range, reverse gear (if pointing up the hill), engine stopped, release handbrake, and gradually release footbrake. Engine compression should hold the vehicle in that position.

Now some of you may know that my bus weighs a fair bit (3T give or take). I also have slightly bigger tyres than standard (265/75R16 v 265/70R16). Anyway the bloody thing was gradually turning the donk over!!!! I was astounded to say the least; and more than just a little bit worried about the state of my compression. Thought it could be a cracked head perhaps?

Anyway, when i calmed down a bit and thought about it, I'm hoping that it's just the combined issues of bigger tyres, more weight and bad final drive ratio.

I'm gunna try to work out exactly what final drive ratio I have in the diffs and have this plan in mind to actually measure how many turns the tail shaft does for one exact revolution of the rear wheels. I plan to jack it up, mark the tyre/wheel and place a sharp, static point very close to that point(resting on the ground). The tail shaft will be likewise marked with masking tape, divided into 1/10th graduations.

I'm hoping it will show that the tail shaft turns 3.9 times for one revolution of the wheel. Then I will try to find out what is the best way of changing that over to say 4.3 times....probably by sourcing new crown and pinion gears as opposed to buying 2 whole axles from a wrecker etc. Does anybody know whether the 4.3s will fit inside the diff pumpkin on my truck (assuming it is the 3.9 ratio unit)?

Maybe there are some other experts out there on one of those other forums (Truckster, you seem to know the Patrol forum details????? mate???)
Or, would I just be better off talking to someone like Mark's Adaptors etc? This is not the sort of job I'd consider tackling myself, but I also wouldn't try and get the local Nissan dealer or a local hack mechanic to do it either.

From my basic calculations, if I do manage to change the ratios over, I might even be able to go up to 285/75s, but still have the same (or very close) gearing that the vehicle would've had if I'd left the 265/70s on it in the 1st place....then hopefully it won't try to move away when I'm expecting the stalled motor to hold it in place.

Thanks in advance to those who repsond.

Cheers

Roachie
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 17:53

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 17:53
I have had this happen as well Roachie, on quite a steep hill, all i did was apply a bit of handbreak and it stopped moving. At the same time as turning the key, released the handbreak and started back down with engine running.

So i don't think its a big deal, although you like to spend a few dollars now and then aye.
AnswerID: 141553

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 18:10

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 18:10
G'day Tony,
Yeh, the handbrake or footbrake can be used to hold the vehicle of course, but when some of the other vehicles doing the same training were bloody (I almost can't bring myself to say it, but I'll try my best).... toy......toyo.......toyotas (there; that didn't hurt too much did it!!!!), and they were able to hold on okay without any brake usage, it just rammed home to me the fact that Nissans (in general) are significantly higher geared than the toyota vehicles....and the 2 toyotas were both prados too!!! In fact, at one stage, I was riding shotgun in one of the Prados going down the same hill and he had to actually use some accelerator in 1st/low to keep it going at a reasonable speed.....I had to touch the footbrake in the Patrol whilst going down the same hill.
FollowupID: 395196

Reply By: F4Phantom - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 17:55

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 17:55
i have had my car slip in first low too (diesel) even fowards. It supprised me at first but it was a seriously steep hill. The fix? Handbrake seems to give it that little extra bit to stop the engine cranking. i am not sure this is the solution you were after tho.
AnswerID: 141554

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 18:18

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 18:18
Roachie,

The reverse stall recovery method is correct, but I don't take my foot of the brake completely.

Ease your foot up from the brake and at the same time watch the gear leaver.The leaver will move sideways to wards the driver if doing it in reverse.When the leaver has stopped moving that is where you leave you foot on the brake, no more pressure and no less. At this point the vehicle is held by the foot brake and engine compression. The motor should start with out any strain on the starter motor.

Having a little pressure on the brake will also stop a petrol taking off too quick and the driver is able to control the speed of the decent by applying more pressure on the brake.

If doing a forward stall recovery and the same method is used the gear leaver will move to wards the passenger side.

We also make sure that the ignition is turned off all the way after the vehicle has stopped and before we start to release the foot brake. The last thing we need is the ignition on and the vehicle creeps forward and starts the motor.

Wayne
AnswerID: 141558

Follow Up By: Member - Tony G (ACT) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 18:23

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 18:23
I've seen a BJ 40's engine run backwards for that very reason Wayne.
FollowupID: 395197

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 20:16

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 20:16
Thanks Wayne and Tony......

I guess I may be worrying about naught......new gears in transfer case is probably the best bet.

Roachie
FollowupID: 395208

Reply By: Member - Captain (WA) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 18:36

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 18:36
Hi Roachie,

The poor low ratio of 2:1 on the Nissan GU is one of my biggest gripes with Nissans. IMHO the Nissan is more off road orientated than its competitors, yet it only has the 2:1 low range ratio, one of the poorest around. My old 1HZ 80 series had a 2.5:1 low ratio and even the VW Tourag has a 2.7:1 low range. Its not until you look at the old subaru's before you see worse low ranges like 1.6:1, but at least they never claimed to be a "proper" 4WD.

But if you do want to "fix" your vehicle, much better IMHO to put in the a better low range ratio than change your diffs. With the Marks Adaptors replacement (?), you get a 3.7:1 low range (I think) and do not affect your high range ratio.

Cheers

Captain
AnswerID: 141560

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 19:46

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 19:46
the king of offroad kings the 75/79 series also runs 2.0 to 1 low range but run a lower 1st gear to compensate but still are higher geared than 1st low in an 80 they will however have no problems holding with compression in 1st or reverse on hills. i once did an experiment where i took a 75 with 170,000k and took it up the North side of nanny goat hill till it failed to proceed in HIGH 1st (well and truly facing up hill) and parked it using compression only. the result was it gave one compression "tick" of the motor every 13 seconds - slightly more (about 14 - 15 seconds) when the vehicle was in reverse (reverse is a lower gear). This was done to prove to a smart Alec on this forum that having the vehicle in 1st when ponting up hill and r when pointing down hill will not stop your vehicle rolling away as a motor will turn backwards
FollowupID: 395203

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 20:19

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 20:19
Thanks blokes,

Maybe you're right Captain.....lower transfer box gearset might be the best way to go.

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 395209

Reply By: Tuff60 - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 18:59

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 18:59
I am with Captain on this one. If you change diff gears you mess up High 2 gearing, and therefore road manners and economy. Change the transfercase gears and it will keep the same on road manners/economy. Changing low ratio will make it much better for slow off road work and for the quicker low ratio stuff you just use one gear higher. Unless of course you want better on road take off then go for the diff gears, but economy might suffer. JMHO.
AnswerID: 141564

Follow Up By: GaryInOz (Vic) - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 02:20

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 02:20
If he already has larger tyres on, going to 4.1's or 4.3's might actually correct his gearing. His economy may well be worse with the (numerically) lower diff ratio by causing the beast to labour under the combination of bigger tyres and a 3 tonne mass.

I reckon go the diffs first to get the high range sorted, then see if you need the transfer case gears
FollowupID: 396900

Reply By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 19:31

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 19:31
Thats why tojos dont need handbrakes - we often have to park on underground mine dedeclines with slopes of 7-8 to1 you would be testing the walls and roo bars out constantly if they rolled against compression
AnswerID: 141566

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 19:38

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 19:38
You have not changed the tire size enough to worry the diffs.. If you go to 4.3 from 3.9, it will rev its tits off and go nowhere. maybe 4.1's if you must spend some cash.

They are around $1000 per diff + fitting on a Genuine Set of gears. Aftermarket ones, dont last very long as daily driver - or so a mate that sold them told me...

You are a hypochondriac on that car. Always lookin for things wrong with it..

You know the thing is massive... It's a 3 ton 4b.. crap final ratios, and massive tires..

Me thinks you are just lookin for an excuse to spend money.

... YMMV ...
AnswerID: 141567

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 20:15

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 20:15
Thanks Truckster,
I just used the site known as :

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

to help me calculate that 265/75s are 3.29% bigger than 265/70s and 285/75s are 6.8% bigger than 265/70s.

Now, by my reckoning, if I changed from 3.9 diffs to 4.3, that's a decrease of 10.25%. So, yes, you are correct, even with the bigger tyres, I'd be revving higher than a standard motor would with standard tyres at any given road speed. But it would give me a better take-off capacity and i would be able to tackle hilly country better.

Anyway, I'm phryggin'-well confusing myself, so might just go and have a Bex and a beer and a good lie down.........

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 395207

Reply By: Ken - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 19:38

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 19:38
Roachie,

I'm not sure what training exercise this was supposed to be but in the Vic. 4WD association training there is NEVER any intention in a reverse stall stop proceedure to have the vehicle hanging on engine compression braking only !
The intent of stall stop recoveries is to; a) secure the vehicle when in difficulty; and, b) to effect a safe retreat from the obstacle.
To do this we teach the use of all 3 braking systems; foot & hand brakes and engine compression. All three are used to secure the vehicle whilst the plan of recovery is developed and there should be no time during the preparation for the recovery that less than 2 braking systems are in use. eg. quickly operating the clutch to select reverse. Only when the driver is ready to back down are the handbrake and footbrake released as the starter is activated. The point when the footbrake is released [and the key turned] is only when the driver is prepared and ready to commence the recovery. There should be no reliance on engine compression braking alone to hold the vehicle at any point.
Just because the gearing of some Toyotas may hold them it is a very dangerous practice and totally negates the safety measures involved in a proper stall stop recovery.

Ken
AnswerID: 141568

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 19:49

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 19:49
G'day Ken,

Mate, I totally agree with you and it must be said that the idea is to always keep the foot poised over the brake pedal at a minimum, but to momentarily have the vehicle hanging on compression only (10 seconds type of timing).

I seem to recall I never had a problem with my GQ's engine braking, but guess it still had the standard 31x10.5x15s and didn't weigh as much as the GU does.

Cheers mate

Roachie
FollowupID: 395204

Reply By: Des Lexic - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 20:15

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 20:15
G'day Bill,
Just imagine if your truck was an automatic and you would need to hold the vehicle in reverse with the handbrake applied. As you commenced the descent, apply the throttle power gently until the vehicle drives against the handbrake. Control the descent by gentle throttle control. Complete the descent. You can apply the same proceedures if your compression won't hold the vehicle. Is the expense necessary for the number of times that you need compression to control your descent. The mpney you have saved can be deposited into my retirement account.
If you have the latest DTU Training Manual, it's explained in section 7-9.
I hope you will appreciate my omittance refering to an altenative vehicle. Sorry. I couldn't help myself. LOL
AnswerID: 141573

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 20:22

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 20:22
Mate,
You were going REALLY well until the last line!!!!!!!
Thanks, I've got no dramas with the reverse recovery proceedure and passed the test with flying colours (hehehe)...it's just that I was so surprised by the engine's inability to hold it without the aid of some brake as well.
Maybe I should look into the low range gear replacement and leave the diffs well-enough alone....
Cheers mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 395210

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 20:33

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 20:33
Roachie me mate

""At one point in the proceedure, you are required to have the vehicle in low-range, reverse gear (if pointing up the hill), engine stopped, release handbrake, and gradually release footbrake""

WHY?
AnswerID: 141580

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 22:17

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 22:17
I guess the short answer is "just to prove you can".

In reality it is designed as a safety measure to show that one is competent to handle a vehicle which is in a precarious predicament, lost traction, track obstruction etc. If there was , say, a tree across the track which you could only see once you rounded a curve, you'd need to work out what you're gunna do. Depressing the clutch and brake at that point could be disastrous, so you must be able to stall/shut-off the motor in a safe manner and secure the vehicle. A lot of vehicles have got a handbrake that isn't worth a damn.....so if you're gunna park on this bloody hill and have to get out to clear track etc, you're gunna be relying almost solely on the engine compression and what little assistance the handbrake MIGHT be able to supply, at least until you can chock the wheels.

That's the theory..........not saying I agree with it mate.

Here endeth the lesson...hehehehe

Roachie
FollowupID: 395227

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 22:36

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 22:36
Hmmmm What'll they think of next?

But why release the handbrake as well?

If you are on such a steep incline and you have driven up there 'blind' then the more fool you(not you personally, me mate lol)

Bloody Driver Training is getting to the silly stage.

Anyway you had better consult me before you buy anymore goodies for your truck.

Seeya Sunday.

Cheers
FollowupID: 395230

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 18:30

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 18:30
Bloody Willem said my words again hahahaha, why release the handbrake, I was yaught ( at 4WDriver training ) to leave it on, back it off a notch or two if needed but leave it on and reverse back down.

Yannow if you added what Willem and I know together itd be everything that needs to be known and seven things that were never needed to be known, at least I think its seven.
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 395418

Follow Up By: Willem - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 20:27

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 20:27
Yeah Bonz.....and don't bring cats into the seven things we didn't need to know lol
FollowupID: 395441

Reply By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 21:18

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 21:18
Roachie,

Get with it, it's a Nissan so in the real world you wouldn't need to stop on the side of a dirty big hill, just drive to the top unless you have a yota in the road of course
lol.
Lower transfer gears are the go if you want my opinion.

Cheers Trevor.
AnswerID: 141588

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 22:18

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 22:18
Cheers Trevor, you're spot-on as usual.
Do you have those deep reduction gears?
Cya mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 395228

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 10:24

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 10:24
Roachie,

I don't have the need for those crawler gears, most of my offroading is fairly tame and the rest of the time is spent towing up and down the east coast. But if was in the need for lower gearing I would look at the transfer case as opposed to the diffs seems as cheaper and simpler solution in my opinion.

Cheers Trevor.
PS If my comment above your response doesn't get the nissan bashers going I don't know what would :-))
FollowupID: 395312

Follow Up By: Member - Pezza (QLD) - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 15:03

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 15:03
G'day Roachie,

David, ie. "Grungle", has them in his lorry if you want to MM him, I'll try to get hold of him and make him aware of this post.
Definately a better way to go IMO.

Avagoodn
Pezza
FollowupID: 395385

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 21:32

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 21:32
Thanks Pezza.....I'd like to know from someone first hand that these gearmaster gizmos are good stuff....
Roachie
FollowupID: 395462

Reply By: Andrew (Whyalla SA) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 23:00

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 23:00
Roachie
A few points:
As per a previous reply to one of your posts I told you which diff ratios would and would not fit your diffs. (H233 vs H260 diffs)
Marks are about to release a 40% lower low range gear to fit between the standard one and their 83% lower gear.

My stock as a rock GU with 3.9 diffs and 305/70/16 tyres towed a camper weighing nearly 1.5tonnes up and down some seriously steep and loose high country tracks last xmas (Twin Jeeps, Blue Rag, Brewery, etc).
2 petrol Prados with me (one was less than 2 months old) both cooked their brakes downhill so badly they have both had to replace the front rotors. Mine just wandered down held back by engine compression. Their campers weighed 1000 and 1200kgs
AnswerID: 141613

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 23:04

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 23:04
Thanks again Andrew,
You must get phryggin sick of me bleating on about all this cr@p!!!
Next set of tyres will be 285s and I'll work the rest out from there I spose. It'd be nice to have the lower ratio in the tranny case too, just to be sure.
Cheers mate
Roachie
FollowupID: 395480

Follow Up By: Andrew (Whyalla SA) - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 23:19

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 23:19
I like the idea of the new low range that Marks are about to release.
Their 3.7:1 low range is too low for my use and the new one should be about 2.8:1. Bonus is that the transfer case housing wont need grinding to fit the new gear, unlike the 3.7

Apparently it will be about the same price as the current ones.
FollowupID: 395485

Reply By: Andrew (Whyalla SA) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 23:24

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 23:24
The "handing on the trans" thing should be a split second thing. Key start the motor as the footbrake is released.
As part of training its done for a bit longer to demonstrate that compression will hold it. Most petrols and some diesels will turn over. Older diesels can -*sometimes*- actually start and run backwards. Pretty scary.
AnswerID: 141616

Follow Up By: Andrew (Whyalla SA) - Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 23:27

Tuesday, Nov 29, 2005 at 23:27
bugger - should have read "hanging on the trans"
FollowupID: 395238

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 01:32

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 01:32
Andrew
Thats crap
the transmission in reverse turns the engine over the same way a forward

when rolling down a hiil or not

HOW can it start it to run backwards ???????????

Please have a think above it

Regards

Richard Kovac
FollowupID: 395246

Follow Up By: Andrew (Whyalla SA) - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 08:54

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 08:54
LOL. My Engrishh let me down.
The car can start, without using the key, and run backwards down the hill and ya cant turn it off.

BTW, older diesels can start and run the wrong way but not in the stall start situation.
FollowupID: 395264

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 13:00

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 13:00
If you are going up a steep hill in an old diesal (for example a 2h) and it stalls if you are slow to brake it can roll back wards a touch and start the vehicle with the motor running backwards for 10 seconds before the low oil cut off kicks in and kills the motor. I have had it happen on a short but steep rock when crossing headlands while beach driving.
As for starting without the keying the starter. we were taught when wanting to reverse back down a hill you didnt make it up to select reverse turn ignition on then release the brake and then if it didnt roll start hit the key. If proceeding up the hill turn select 1st turn the hand throttle to 1500rpm and release the clutch while taking your foot off the brake
FollowupID: 395374

Follow Up By: Richard Kovac - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 22:59

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 22:59
Hi all

Please explain older diesels?

The only Diesel I have known to start back wards are two stroke Gimmes (GM) and they don't run well.

And even a H2 engine has a vac drive diagram for fuel, so air would would be traveling the wrong way across the butterfly valve wouldn't be? (thats as far as I now)

If you have had it happen it must have happen, I just can't work out how

the turning of a diesel engine back wards can only happen when in a forward gear and when the wheels are rocked or rotated back wards which will turn the engine over back wards.

It has to draw air in the exhaust through the exhaust valves, the injector has to fire before TDC or close to it (which it wont) ignite and expel the gases out the inlet valves and out through the air cleaner

I have never had it happen to me but have see the result of it melted air
cleaner

Richard
FollowupID: 395479

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Dec 01, 2005 at 12:13

Thursday, Dec 01, 2005 at 12:13
richard i cant explain the mechanicals of it but i can assure you i have had it happen and that it was a well known safety hazard with the 2h powered utes used underground with safety alerts issued. It is this reason a 2h motor has a 10 second cut out for low oil and the 1hz does not. It is to shut the motor down in the case of running backwards (no oil pressure)
FollowupID: 395545

Follow Up By: Member - Davoe (Widgiemooltha) - Thursday, Dec 01, 2005 at 12:17

Thursday, Dec 01, 2005 at 12:17
And the 2h does not have a vac operated fuel diaghram - that is the 12-ht. the 2h fuel supply is mechanically operated by a rod connected to an electrical motor (edic motor)
FollowupID: 395546

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 01:08

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 01:08
Hi Roachie
Maybe the slipage was due to wear in the engine e.g. piston ring to cylinder bore gap?

Maybe she needs a rebuild ??

I have some info at work that gives all the Maths to work out what you require (I think) If I remember I will try to scan it and post it to the file swap

Regards

Richard
AnswerID: 141630

Reply By: Member - 'Lucy' - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 01:36

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 01:36
Roachie ! you and your fellow members of the 'Pink Nissan mafia' are the greatest wasters of time, money and cyberspace on this forum.

Now look what you have done - sucked me into your artfully conrtrived attempt to terminate all Toyota owners by boreing them to death with more 'eye witness' reports and experiences of what they already know, and that is:

Nissans should be renamed BLOWFLIES ( greatest pest known to mankind)

Ooh! Roachie, you make my day every time you let loose on this forum.

Surely reducing the weight of your vehicle to comply with the OEM GVM and replacing the tyres and/or with OEM specs would fix the perceived problem.

Far cheaper than d i c k i n g with the diff ratios and or transfer case whatevers, cause that may alter the 'engineering' somewhat and make it a un-roadworthy vehicle that can't be insured, and in turn possibly placing the operator of same at the mercy of the 'litigators'.

AnswerID: 141635

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 10:02

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 10:02
Ooops! forgot:

Bite the bullet mate - not the pillow like you are doing now - and buy a Toyota and all your problems will be solved.

Truckster!

Don't even think of putting fingers to the keyboard in response, especially after you were observed having to have your brake pads changed down Swifts Creek way on the weekend in the middle of the bush where you thought no one could see.
FollowupID: 395304

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 10:26

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 10:26
You never had to change brake pads?
FollowupID: 395313

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 10:38

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 10:38
Member Lucy,

Ohhh boy have you started something here, hope your up to the responses.
I would have thought after all the rigmarol you have gone through just to make your Toy... Toy.... ahhh Truck legal to take two pasengers down to the shop your comments above would be perceived as "the pot calling the kettle black"
The funniest thing to me is I actually think you believe in the tripe that you just wrote above.

Cheers Trevor.
PS all in good humour.
FollowupID: 395322

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 11:27

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 11:27
'You never had to change brake pads?'

Oh! yeah I do, however I (thats myself only) do it before leaving 'home' not when I get 'there' .

Funny thing though, I only have to change the brake pads on that 'pos box Nissan' that I have, not the fantastic, most magnificent , un-faulted and legal Troopy.

Guess it must another thing to add to the Nissan misdemeanour list - brake pads only last to you get there.

Please chuck a bucket of water on your keyboard because by now it is smoking and I can see the smoke on the horizon from here.

(ROFLMAO ) Ooooooooo! I luv you Nissan guys
FollowupID: 395347

Follow Up By: Member - 'Lucy' - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 11:43

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 11:43
Trevor.

As sure as it is a given that the sun rises in the East, Melbourne is the centre of Australia, VB is the nectar of the Gods, COOPERS are the best tyres, WARN the only winch, ARB lockers the only ones to have:

A Nissan one poofteenth outside OEM specs will no doubt fail every time.

Now your Toyotas ( excluding the Hilux, 80, 100 town toys) just never fail.

Even when I grossed 'Ms Lucy' up to 3500kg for the enineering test, she held firm on the most ridiculously steep hill where all the added ballast inside slid down the back.

And has no compression/ratio problem with a Roachie type emergency down hill reverse.

Thats because the OEM designed them as the apotheosis of 4WD vehicles.

By the way, how did you know that I developed a 2 person shopper.

FollowupID: 395354

Follow Up By: Member - Trevor R (QLD) - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 14:28

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 14:28
Member Lucy,

Us Nissan guys luv you too cause if it weren't for us towing toyota's out of precarious situations when they break we would have no way of seeing how good the Nissan's really are. They just get the job done no fuss no hype ;-)).
You once told me on the phone it's amazing what the internet tells you about someone if you want to find out about that someone (cheeky grin). That's how I know about your 2 person shopper.

Cheers mate Trevor.
FollowupID: 395383

Follow Up By: Truckster (Vic) - Thursday, Dec 01, 2005 at 00:08

Thursday, Dec 01, 2005 at 00:08
>>> yeah I do, however I (thats myself only) do it before leaving 'home' not when I get 'there' .

there was another 300klms in them pads when I left home, there wasnt at Swifts LMAO!.. You waste money too easily.
FollowupID: 395488

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 08:04

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 08:04
Bill,

Do you have any genuine parts left on your "vehicle"?

Maybe you need to call it a "Roach", rather than a "Patrol"
Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 141657

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 10:33

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 10:33
hahahahahahahaha

Good one mate!!!!!!!!!
FollowupID: 395315

Reply By: Richard Kovac - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 14:27

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 14:27
Hi Roachie have you got an E-mail address
the file is to big to put on swap file

if you want send it to me at work today or at home on

rdkovac@bigpond.net.au

Regards

Richard Kovac
Service Manager
Gerrard Hydraulics
Phone: 08 9455-2344
Fax: 08 9455-2045
Email: richard@gerrardhydraulics.com.au
AnswerID: 141737

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 15:06

Wednesday, Nov 30, 2005 at 15:06
thanks mate, have just sent you an email at your work address...

Cheers

Roachie
FollowupID: 395388

Reply By: Grungle - Thursday, Dec 01, 2005 at 09:28

Thursday, Dec 01, 2005 at 09:28
Hi Roachie,

Just sent you a message re my Gearmasters (sorry hadn't read this post first). As mentioned the extra low range gears are desined for better control and handling in slow rough going situations. It is increases torque significantly and allows you to go slower at a higher engine rev which means you are on boost most/all the time, do not need to slip the clutch at all to keep revs up and have better use of the rev range. Engine braking is fantastic and can happily idle down a steep hill in 3rd gear without any brakes. With a camper itis 2nd and you still have another gear as backup.

Your situation would require a set of extra low range gears and not diff ratios in my opinion. Diff ratio's affect the car in both high and low range and are to bring the vehicle back to standard drivability after modifying wheels to a larger size or some sort of engine/driveline modification. Diff ratio's are all about having the vehicle go at a certain speen for a given rev and how they are matched when designing the vehicle. Extra low range gears only affect the car in low range and have no effect on high range at all.

When I converted my 2.8Tdi to a 4.2T, I had to drive the car with 4.88 diffs installed (I upgraded the standard 4.6's to 4.88's when it was a 2.8), for a few weeks before I swapped back to 4.11's (3.9's are standard on a 4.2T GU but as I run 285's / 33's, I worked out 4.11's were what I needed to bring standard driveability back). The car was a DREAM to drive around town and could blow of any other 4wd at the lights no worries. However on the highway at 100km/hr, the engine would rev at 2650 RPM which is around 300-400 RPM higher than standard - this is not good for fuel economy.

With regards to prices - the Gearmaster gears were purchased as a show special for $1200 and I proceeded to do the installation myself (this is dead easy and took a bit over half a day). However to convert diffs, it costs a lot more. To convert to the 4.88's it cost me $1400 for F&R C&P sets. To fit the things was anywhere from $800 to $1200 and needs to be properly done so that backlash etc can be setup.

After the 4.2T conversion I tracked down F&R sets of 4.11's for $150 the lot. I would stay away from 4.3's as they are 1 to high for your tire size and 2 rare and expensive in 2nd hand form (forget new). 4.11's are a dime a dozen and were available in the GQ's and GU's (mine were from a GQ ute) and with the amount of people who upgrade their 4.2 (non turbo) GQ's you could probable get a complete set for a couple of slabs - you can hardly give them away. I ended up getting the guy who did my engine converions to do the ratio swap for $400 which was the best I could expect. Have done around 20k with them and everything is still smooth as silk.

So there you have it. Hope some of this helps.

Regards
David

AnswerID: 141901

Follow Up By: Member - Roachie (SA) - Thursday, Dec 01, 2005 at 18:03

Thursday, Dec 01, 2005 at 18:03
Thanks David, I have responded to your MM as well. The 2650RPM was obviously when you had the 4.625 gears in......With the 285/75s on and the 4.11 diffs, what sort of revs are you now doing @ 100kph in 5th gear?
Thanks again
Roachie
FollowupID: 395590

Reply By: Austravel - Sunday, Dec 11, 2005 at 22:38

Sunday, Dec 11, 2005 at 22:38
Hi Roachie,

Off subject I know but I thought it the best way to get direct to you.

I've noticed all along your dramas with overheating and while interesting reading I have not had the problem, that is until now.

Mine is a 2002 GU 4.2 turbo diesel cab chassis with only basic mods including the 3 inch dump pipe and full flow exhaust etc. I've only just started towing a camper and this is were the problems have started. Never had the drama even with a very heavy tray back camper. Now I have a canopy with gear in the back and also tow a camper, a pioneer camper which is much lighter than yours, approx 750kg all up.

When travelling on the highway at 110kph, outside temps approx 38-40 dec C, air con on, towing trailer etc on a flat road the temp gauge is getting close to 3/4. Normal temp without towing is under half. Get to a hill and try and maintain speed and temp gauge goes to, HOT, needle is right on the line going to the red. Even at 100kph and same conditions and temp is just as hot. A/C doesn't shut down I've got to turn it off to help.

Was heading to Blackdown Table Lands in CQ so thought the slow crawl up the hill might be ok. But no way, the climb is very steep and so put it into low range 2nd and 3rd gear, outside temps similar and coolant temp just as hot as above. Only time it went into the red was when I stopped to let it cool down and at idle it went into the red so just increased rpm and temp started to drop.

Can you tell me is this what you had?? Did your temp gauge get this high??

Bit of a worry so need to do something as I'm going on leave for 6mths next year and don't want dramas.

Any help appreciated.
AnswerID: 143396

Reply By: awill4x4 - Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 00:15

Monday, Dec 12, 2005 at 00:15
Roachie, I've had some discussions with Mark Hardman from Hardman Bros Engineering here in Melb. His company is the gear manufacturer who supplies Marks 4x4 for all their Gearmaster low range conversions.
He told me the 44% reduction gears were due out this month (December) and in his view were a more realistic reduction set than the previous 83% reduction gears. The 83% ones were more suited to rock crawling in according to him. I know a few people running the 83% ones but their complaints lie in the fact they simply run out of low range gearing too soon. Low range 1st down hill is unbelieveable and even the auto petrols go down much slower than a standard geared diesel to the extent that a diesel patrol following a petrol auto Patrol with these gears had to apply the brakes constantly to keep more of a gap between the 2 cars.
I'm going to go for a set of 44% gears myself when they are released for my auto petrol GQ, I think this will be the ideal setup for me. The 44% reduction gears give an effective low range gearing of 2.9:1 the 83% ones are 3.66:1
Unfortunately, Hardmans only sell these gearsets through Marks and not direct from them.
Regards Andrew.
AnswerID: 143403

Sponsored Links